Thursday, May 7, 2009

Meet the Pets

While I'm still fiddling around with the layout of the blog, I thought I post about the pets I'm currently using and why I like them :)

I have two Tenacity pets and two Ferocity pets. I also have a core hound that I'll probably get rid of because I never use him at all (he's still level 67!). I'll probably use the core hound's spot to test out the other families of pets and see if I like them, but that may not be for a while yet so here's who I have so far!

(I marked this picure wrong and I'll fix it after work, it should be "ferocity" not "tenacity") This is Bagheera. My very first pet was a cat named Bella and I loved her. She was a great first pet and never let me down. I held on to her for a while, but when I didn't have the money for all of the stable slots, I let her go to try new pets. I missed having a cat and when I had the money for the stable slots again, I tamed Bagheera and never looked back! Ferocity pets have a tier two talent called "Blood Thirsty" that gives your pet's attacks a 10%/20% chance to increase its happiness and health by 5%. I always put two talent points in that one because it means that I don't have to carry food with me for that pet. When it's happiness goes down, I just have it attack random mobs. It's especially great in raids/dungeons because your pet will be attacking almost non-stop and therefore increasing happiness/health is just about guaranteed. This is a DPS pet which means that it's not going to be pulling aggro or creating threat and not taking a whole bunch of damage. I like that because I don't have to really concentrate on my pet's health and I can concentrate on my shot rotations and the fight itself. Bagheera does have "Growl" which will cause mobs to focus on it if left activated, but usually I keep it turned off.

Colbert is my gorilla. He was named after Stephen Colbert because I was watching the Colbert Report when I tamed him. He is, in fact, a tenacity pet. I got him and wasn't really sure what I was going to do with him, I wasn't even sure that I was going to raise him to 80, but I ended up having so much fun with him that he's not only 80, but one of the pets that I use the most. I'm still learning how to be effective with a tenacity pet. They are meant for tanking/solo questing and as a result have several spells to generate threat and hold onto aggro. One thing I have trouble with is remembering to hit mend pet and heal them. Colbert does a wonderful job holding aggro but has a tendency to die frequently due to my lack of attention on his health bar. Most of the time he's dying in dungeons not while I'm questing, so if you're iffy on getting a tenacity pet, Colbert's dying is mostly my fault not his. He's a fabulous pet, I'll definitely be keeping. Downside to tenacity pet is that they do require you to feed them to keep them happy. Colbert eats bread, fungus, and fruit so I usually have a stack of one of those things in my bag somewhere to keep him happy.

I'm a huge fan of The Office. My wasp Dwight is named after one of my favorite characters from said show. Dwight has a knock-back move that I love. He'll swoop in and knock opponents down, it's so funny to watch. He is a Sapphire Hive Drone, which are also found in the Sholazar Basin (where I got Colbert). I'd heard BigRedKitty talk about wasps in a podcast and decided that I'd give them a try. Using Petopia, I found the exact skin I wanted for my wasp and set off to tame one. Again, as a ferocity pet, Dwight is good for DPS. He deals a good bit of damage, but is much squishier than his tenacity counter-parts. Wasps do have a nice special move called "Sting" which not only does nature damage, but also reduces armor and prevents the target affected from using stealth or turning invisible. So if you've got a rogue after you, pull out your wasp, keep it on at least defensive (so when the rogue saps you, the wasp goes to work), and you don't have to worry about not seeing that rogue. I don't always walk around with track hidden on (which has a small area aroudn you anyway), and I'm not always quick enough to throw up a hunter's mark, making Sting is a fantastic move against an enemy who isn't always visible. I'm not saying that this has saved my butt against a rogue or a druid, but that's because I suck at PvP, if I were better at it, then maybe.

Last, but definitely not least, is Worm. I haven't come up with a good enough name for him yet, so Worm will do for now. Again, this was a pet mentioned in BigRedKitty's podcast and once duel-spec came out, I spent the money to be a Beast Master as my secondary spec just for this pet. The reason why Worm is amazing is Acid Spit.
"Your worm spits acid at an enemy, causing 124 to 176 damage [that's at lvl 80] Nature damage and reducing its armor by 10% per Acid Spit for 30 sec. Can be applied up to 2 times." -Petopia. This pet could potentially tank dungeons. I haven't taken him in one by myself to try it out, but I will be soon. I'm going to start out with Ramps and go from there. It does damage, or allows you to do lots of damage due to Acid Spit, while holding aggro and not being squishy. I'm re-learning being a BM hunter (I switched spec a while back to Survival since the three hunters in the guild were BMs at the time) specifically for this pet. I got this one in Storm Peaks were he was already 80, so I didn't have to level him at all. I tamed him and then headed off to the battlegrounds with my hunter friend. We did Alterac Valley and both of us were in the Top 5 (or even the Top 3? I can't remember) for damage done overall after it ended. Worm is absolutely fantastic for PvP and general destruction. I've only ever seen one other hunter walking around with a worm and that was after I was toting mine through Dalaran. Like with Colbert, I need to remember to watch the health bar and hit Mend Pet every once in a while. I can't rave about my Worm enough, if you're a BM, what are you waiting for? Go get the worm! If you're a Marksman or a Survivalist, duel-spec to BM and get the worm!

No comments:

Post a Comment