Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Shadow Talent Build

I'm finding it very difficult to find a decent Shadow build and from what I can tell, so have a lot of other people. Granted, Shadow is not my main spec (well, not anymore), but I still want to melt faces effectively when doing dailies, as DPS in a raid, or when some Horde jerkfaces come along and try to gank me.

From the various trees that I've looked at online in my research, I'm finding out that a lot of the Shadow builds are based on personal preference and what the player plans to do with the Priest. I'll admit, I had been hoping to find a reliable source who had crafted "the ultimate" Shadow build so I could copy it and be done. Unfortunately, I've gone AFK several times while browsing out-of-date and recent forums with no luck. Some people say full Shadow is the way to go, as in throwing all possible points into Shadow and the rest kind of willy-nilly wherever you want. I'm leaning towards the other theory, throwing about 14 points into Discipline and the rest strategically placed in Shadow.

Here's the website I finally decided to follow: http://hubpages.com/hub/Shadow-Priest-Talent-Guide,

and the build that he recommends:

Discipline
Twin Disciplines, 5/5
Improved Inner fire, 3/ 3
Improved Power Word: Fortitude, 2/ 2
Inner Focus, 1/1
Improved Power Word: Shield, 3/3

Shadow
Spirit Tap, 3/3
Improved Spirit Tap 2/2
Improved Shadow Word: Pain, 2/2
Shadow Focus, 3/3
Improved Mind Blast, 5/5
Mind Flay, 1/1
Veiled Shadows, 2/2
Shadow Reach, 2/2
Shadow Weaving, 3/3
Vampiric Embrace, 1/1
Improved vampiric Embrace, 2/2
Focused Mind, 3/3
Mind Melt, 2/2
Improved Devouring Plague, 3/3
ShadowForm, 1/1
Shadow Power, 5/5
Improved Shadowform, 2/2
Misery, 3/3
Vampirit Touch, 1/1
Pain and Suffering, 3/3
Twisted Faith, 5/5
Dispersion, 1/1

I'm going to give this build a try and see how I do. I'm not about to go pick fights with Horde, although that's not a bad idea, but I am going to go Shadow for a while and test it out.


Edit:
After using the build, I found that I had two talent points left over. I put one in Psychic Horror, just because I love that spell and it's very useful against melee enemies. I put the other point in Darkness, just because it never hurts to do extra damage.

2 comments:

  1. You didn't say what you wanted to do with your shadow build. I know nothing about pvp specs, but for raiding, and even pve generally, there is very nearly a standard shadow build. It is usually 14 points in discipline and the rest in shadow. People argue over the merits of one or two peripheral talents, but there is a core build, like many classes.

    In discipline, for pve purposes, I would advise you to swap out improved pw:s for meditation. (I've never seen a priest of any spec without meditation.)

    Looking at your shadow choices above, most are fairly standard. However, you are four points short for darkness, which as a flat shadow damage increase, is a must for any shadow build.

    One of those points should come from psychic horror, unless you plan to pvp (in which case you are probably better off maxing it out).

    For the other points, I'd look to grab them from improved vampiric embrace, veiled shadows, improved shadow form or inner focus, depending on your preferences and playstyle.

    For all things shadow, check out shadowpriest.com, it's the best and most up-to-date resource on the spec. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I realize that I'm really late in replying, and for that I'm sorry, but thank you very much for your very helpful comment! I'm not sure how I could have completely missed shadowpriest.com but you can rest assured that I'll be using it from here on out! I'll definitely be trying out your talent recommendations, I'm still trying to find the best build for me. I'm more into raiding than PvPing (never been big on the PvP) and now that 3.2 is out my DPS won't be close to a Hunter's or Pally's, but I'd still like to give them a run for their money.

    My next post will likely be on my spell rotation, since I'm still trying to figure that one out too. I'll be reading shadowpriest.com for tips there for sure! My goal is basically not to be on the bottom of the DPS charts in raids, even though Shadow isn't my main spec anymore, I still love it and want people in pugs to go, "Whoa! That Shadow Priest rocks!" lol

    Thanks again for your comment, it's always nice to know that someone other than my guild looks at my blog ;)

    ReplyDelete