Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Tasty Cupcakes

No, I'm not talking about the item that you need to eat for Second That Emotion or Bad Example, I mean cupcakes IRL (In Real Life). The latest guild get-together happened to be on one of our guildes' birthday, plus who doesn't love a reason to make cupcakes?

I knew I wanted to make WoW cupcakes, but had trouble initially with how I was going to decorate them. I typed "World of Warcraft cupcakes" into Google and came up with a couple of things. One thing that came up was Horde Cupcakes by snackordie.com (a video game baking website, <333) Guildwatch: Let them eat cupcakes, an article on Wow.com by Mike Schramm. I thought was funny that I stumbled onto because I've recently become acquainted with their podcast. Anyway, that gave me the idea for Hearthstone cupcakes (which I may or may not do at this point) and guild crest cupcakes, actually having our guild crest as the decoration. I also want to try and re-create the Tasty Cupcake and see if I can't make it as tasty in real life as it looks in my backpack... ;)

So for cake mix I chose Devil's Food Cake because that was one of the birthday boy's favorites, and Classic Yellow because, well, that's my favorite and it's usually a crowd-pleaser.


I found that using a measuring cup with a spout made it really easy to pour the batter into the cups in the pan. There was a little bit of dripping between cups, but it was minimal and oh-so-delicious ;)

Following the recipe on the box was easy and I didn't burn anything! :)


Time to decorate! For the base frosting, I used a can of off-white butter cream and used food coloring to get the various other colors I needed. Purple came out more gray than purple, but it did have a purple-ish hue to it so it still worked. Blue was also grayish, but it was a really pretty gray-blue. See for yourself how the cupcakes turned out :)













No comments:

Post a Comment